Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Japan: Miyajima

Our trip to Japan was loooong. I spent the first day working going for a run along the edge of the base and getting lost. My 30 min run turned into something like a two hour walk. Then we tried to use public transportation to get to downtown Iwakuni but ended up walking. By the end of the trip, I was proud to take a bus and a train to a destination WITHOUT getting lost. :) John went to work early and got off at 2 or 3 every day. I would go see stuff, and he usually met me there shortly thereafter. Our second day we went to Kintai Bridge. The third day we went to the island of Miyajima. It was gorgeous! I think these are oyster beds. They reminded me of the mussel farm in Coupeville.
Our ferry.
The English tourist pamphlet had a warning about these deer in big letters. I said not to feed them b/c they would not leave you alone. I saw them swarm a few ppl and it was rather scary!!!
Look! I am petting one!
This is one of the most famous Shinto shrines in Japan. When the tide is out, you can walk up to it and try to throw rocks on the ledge. I guess it is for good luck? We both got one up on the ledge. Guess who got it up there first. :)

Inside the monastery.

The waterview of the monastery These are different Japanese temples. They were all over the island.
I guess these papers are prayers?
This is a five level pagoda and looks awesome!
We walked up the hills at Miyajima. The walk was about 1.5 miles up stairs. This temple involved a bunch of stairs as well. It was really amazing!

shhhhhh...
This is on the stairway up the hill. It was more arduous than we expected.
We took pics of all the wildlife for Matthew. Cool lizard! We are playing around here b/c we are still near the bottom.
The view from the top.
SNAKE!!!!
John's Atlas impression...

Mama is TIRED!!!
Here we are at the bottom again. I have heard the sunset pictures of this shrine are considered one of the best views in Japan. It was breathtaking.

The world's largest rice paddle! :) I made John wander all over the get this picture. haha. Miyajima is known for woodworking and made a name for itself at one time making decorated rice paddles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home