Saturday, July 24, 2010

Death Valley Flowers

I had heard that Death Valley fills with wildflowers for a few weeks in the springtime. The lower elevations were only showing a few yellow flowers, but as we climbed to Scotty's castle, we got to see almost all of the wildflowers in the valley. I'm only posting a few b/c I went a bit crazy. :) It is amazing to see how plant and animal life can grow in such a desolate place. God does provide!































This coyote was looking for a handout.



Not much grows on the salt flats.









There were fields of poppies everywhere.


























The minerals in the rock make it change into all sorts of colors. I even saw purple.























This is the coolest flower we saw.











Abby likes to climb.













My two favorite men. The wind gave Matthew a mohawk.











Abby loves an easy hike!









Scotty's castle. There was a swindler named Scotty that got a rich man, who was interested in the desert and the wild west, to invest in a fictious mine. Even after the wealthy guy figured out he was being swindled, he enjoyed Scotty's antics and stories and let him live near here. They actually became friends.




We climbed to a hill above Scotty's castle and Matthew was REALLY upset about the wind. I had to wrap him up in my coat to get him to go up the hill. He complained the whole time, but he made it!







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home