Venice is a beautiful city. We have been once before but did not get to ride in a gondola. I admit that riding a gondola was really the only thing I really wanted to do since we were back in Italy. :) Here are a few pictures of the ride!

This is the Grand Canal.


The streets are much more narrow.

Venice is a walking/boat city. There are no cars allowed. You actually park outside and then walk or take a water taxi into the city itself. The bridge in front of us is how you walk over all the watery streets.

Our gondolier told us that the water in November rises every year. You can see the water marks on the walls. In this picture you can see that the water rises up past the level of the first floor. The first floor entryways are actually and go up past the water level line. Even so, he said that most ppl live above the first floor. Living in Venice is extremely expensive and many people are moving away because the upkeep and expense are getting unreasonable.

It is amazing to me that people centuries ago saw the exact same sight...

Our friendly gondolier. I read that gondolas used to be lavishly decorated. Apparently, the decorations got out of hand and long ago the city decreed that all gondolas be painted black. There must be some sort of gondola guild now b/c they all charge the same ridiculously high prices.... :) It is totally worth it though.

Walking through the city...

I just love wisteria vines. Someday I want to plant some. I loved the vines on this old nunnery.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home